Sunday, March 10, 2013

Introduction

I am currently a 1L at a t14 law school. I am at the top of my class. And I'm here to tell you how to excel in law school.

First off, I'll give you a little background on myself. I attended a large public university in North Carolina. I went into college planning on going to law school, and not just any law school. I wanted to go to one of the best law school in the country. But after the first year, I was afraid I wasn't going to be able to attain that dream. Like many new college students fresh out of high school, I struggled mightily my first year. I barely attained a 3.0 GPA. Most students quickly recover from this first year and go on to post much better grades. But not me. Instead, I went on to post more 3.0s, and in one semester even posted a sub-3.0. I realized that I had one shot at making it into a t14 law school, and that was the LSAT.

I spend one and a half years studying for the LSAT, and on test day was more than ready. I condfidently marked my answer and attained a 178. Although an extreme splitter with a low GPA and a high LSAT, I still had a shot at making it to a top school.

My application process went about as expected. Denied and waitlisted from my reaches, accepted at my matches, and accepted with scholarship money at my safeties. I ended up picking one of the match schools, and couldn't be happier with my choice.

I prepared the summer before law school, knowing that I couldn't pull low grades in law school. With the current job markets for lawyers, a low GPA = no job. Using some of the tips and tricks that I'll tell you about in this blog, I attained a 4.0 GPA my first semester and was top of my class, a striking success given my previous GPAs.

As a 1L, I realize that I don't have much experience to back up my claims of knowing how to succeed in law school. So take it as you will. All I will say is that it has worked for me, it has worked for others, and I would be willing to bet that it will work for you.

Want to be top of your class? Welcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment